Review: Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover *not amused face*

by - 12:14 AM

I AM STILL ALIVE BUT I'M BARELY BREATHING!!!!! I'll be out for a while locked inside my dungeon aka I am stuck reviewing and preparing for a big exam that is bound to happen on Sept 7. It's called an Exit Exam for my math subject! Emergerd. I am damn anxious and scared X( Wish me luck! Going to be back soon! :D 


17788401
UGLY LOVE
Author: Colleen Hoover
Series: Standalone
Date of Publication: Aug 2014
Rating:

Synopsis:
When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she knows it isn’t love at first sight. They wouldn’t even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up. He doesn’t want love, she doesn’t have time for love, so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her.

Never ask about the past.
Don’t expect a future.

They think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can’t handle it at all.

Hearts get infiltrated.
Promises get broken.
Rules get shattered.
Love gets ugly.

WHAT.
THE.
FU.
IS.
THIS.
(this is not poetry, Colleen. It's not and not and not!!!!)
I don't want to rant, but I am going to anyway. I love all your previous books, Colleen, why do you have to hurt me like this :((( Let's get over with this swiftly and try not to be obnoxious. Shall we, Abby? 

Seriously, this book is a big ball of disappointment and a cringe-inducing soda (what). I wanted to give up on this book for almost eighty four times during my reading escapade (I counted!). The problem really lies on the main characters. They are the major source of rage and fury. Tate is the kind of woman that is very bff material at first for a) She's not a morning person b) She had that sense of badassness and devious personality BUT as the story unfolds, I found myself hating and hating her character.

How the hell are you going to fall in love with someone who've you only exchanged like 4-5 sentences with? As they say, "silence that says it all" but Miles's silence is just downright annoying and so not a total turn on. Tate agreed to be in a friends with benefits kind of relationship to be closer to Miles. Okay, let's give that an arched brow. But then Miles treated her like some one night stand, she got hurt, she tried to console herself, pep talked herself of letting Miles USE her to get rid of his pain, they had sex again because she gave in to the mysterious and broken Miles, then the cycle went on. Oh gooooosh, I have so many things going on my mind and not even a single word can describe how fucked up the romance here. Hoover is trying to punctuate that a broken person is okay to hurt someone and that someone can have no self-respect as long as the hormones are raging and the attraction is dazzling. THAT'S SO NOT COLLEEN HOOVER. THAT'S SO NOT HER. Miles is an asshole and don't try to romanticize the "I AM BROKEN AND DEAD INSIDE" to me. 

The total WHAT THE FUCK MOMENT?


I feel as if Hover is trying to venture on the poetic or lyrical writing to make the situation more poignant for the readers, but for me her writing style didn't even amuse me for a tiny bit! The most annoying thing about the writing is Miles' POV:
"My thoughts are Rachel.
I can’t fall in love with you, Rachel.
 I look at the sink. I want to look at Rachel.
 I breath the air. I want to breathe in Rachel.
 I close my eyes. I only see Rachel.
I wash my hands. I want to touch Rachel."
Believe me, Miles POV is like some 5 year old learning to talk and form sentences. My gosh. Rachel is the girl Miles is head over heels with before Tate came in the picture. Here's another one: 
"My new favorite flavor is Rachel.
My new favorite thing is Rachel.
I want Rachel for my birthday.
I want Rachel for Christmas.
I want Rachel for graduation."
description

The only good thing about this book is Cap/Sam.
“If that boy can't see what a good thing he could have with you, then he ain't worth your time.”
“Some people they grow wiser as they grow older. Unfortunately, most people just grow older.” 
“When life gives you lemons, make sure you know whose eyes you need to squeeze them in.”  

You May Also Like

9 comments

  1. This sounds... definitely not like my cup of tea. I'd probably be throwing this book across the room in frustration. Such a shame it disappointed but your rant was very entertaining to read. I LOVE YOUR DESIGN BTW AND YOU ARE AWESOME COS YOU ALSO LOVE DYLAN O'BRIEN! WOOHOO

    - Sunny @ A Sunny Spot Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was utterly disappointed because this was one of my most awaited releases this year!!! D: Thank you! HAHA I tend to be entertaining when I rant XD DYLAN O'BRIEN IS LOVE! <3

      Delete
  2. This seems bad, and I'm probably not going to try this anytime soon. (Not that I planned to, anyway). I mean, gosh, when he treats you like crap it's time you make your way. Anyway, great, honest review!

    -Naban @ The Literary Oracle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was bad for me. But for the others, this book was fantastic. Thank youuuu! >:D<

      Delete
  3. Wow..um..okay, yeah this doesn't sound like me at all. I don't tend to read NA anyway, but I heard that Colleen Hoover is one of the authors to start with, so I'm bummed. :( I haven't heard good things about this one from anyone, so I guess I'll pass on this one and try one of her other books.

    -Emily @ Books & Cleverness

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOOK WHO'S BACK! :D

    Ughhhh, insta-love? Uuugh. This has so many mixed reviews but what always comes out is that it wasn't an easy read and, yes, an ugly love. Man, I've read some quotes of the ''poetry'' and I can agree that there is no poetry in this book. So sorry you had such a bad reading experience, girl. But great review! :D I think I'll still try this out someday but not near in the future, that's for sure. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this sounds bad. More insta love? Ewwwww. Well that's creepy. And extra creepy because I'm a Rachel. 0_o The romance sounds bad, the character worse. Sorry you had to deal with that, Abby! Stay strong, you'll get through that studying and testing. Good luck!!

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've nominated you for the Liebster Award - follow the directions on this link to learn more http://followtheyellowbookrd.blogspot.com/2014/08/liebster-award-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaaaw this really really sucks! I don't know but I absolutely loved this book. Even though I've never experienced any of the shit the characters were going through, I could understand where they were coming from. Usually, I'd get really frustrated but this one was more pity than anger for me. Hopefully your next reads will be better! :D And best of luck for you exam!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! ♡ Happy reading to everyone!