Review: Split Second by Kasie West (ALL THE FEELS)

by - 5:14 AM

Split Second (Pivot Point #2)
Author: Kasie West
Published Date: Feb 11, 2014
Add to goodreads

Synopsis:
Life can change in a split second.

Addie hardly recognizes her life since her parents divorced. Her boyfriend used her. Her best friend betrayed her. She can’t believe this is the future she chose. On top of that, her ability is acting up. She’s always been able to Search the future when presented with a choice. Now she can manipulate and slow down time, too . . . but not without a price.

When Addie’s dad invites her to spend her winter break with him, she jumps at the chance to escape into the Norm world of Dallas, Texas. There she meets the handsome and achingly familiar Trevor. He’s a virtual stranger to her, so why does her heart do a funny flip every time she sees him? But after witnessing secrets that were supposed to stay hidden, Trevor quickly seems more suspicious of Addie than interested in her. And she has an inexplicable desire to change that.

Meanwhile, her best friend, Laila, has a secret of her own: she can restore Addie’s memories . . . once she learns how. But there are powerful people who don’t want to see this happen. Desperate, Laila tries to manipulate Connor, a brooding bad boy from school—but he seems to be the only boy in the Compound immune to her charms. And the only one who can help her.

As Addie and Laila frantically attempt to retrieve the lost memories, Addie must piece together a world she thought she knew before she loses the love she nearly forgot . . . and a future that could change everything.
 
KASIE WEST CAN NEVER GO WRONG.
That was my initial thought upon finishing Split Second. It was a pleasure to read another fun, entertaining, swoon inducing book from Kasie West!!! And come on, what's not to like? There's TRE freaking VOR




I apologize in advance if you came here to read a comprehensive and coherent review for Split Second. I've been dying to read this for months now, and the moment I started it, I WENT NUTS. Not even kidding.

Let's get first to the plot. Okaaay, so there was an ultimate turn of events in here compare to Pivot Point. We get to know more about the Compound and its conspiracy and turncoats. We also get to know more of the ability advancement that I think was really cool. Kasie created a paranormal world with advance ability yet kept it on a light side and not too much of drama & action. 

And that plot twist at the 90% of the book? MAN I WAS STUPEFIED!!!!! I really didn't see that coming. The grandpa of Addie, the involvement of Laila's brother and Connor's ability not to be affected by other paranormal power. MIND BLOWN! And let's just say, Stephanie was like the biggest plot twist ever!
"Do you....are there....a lot of memories Erased?"
"Only when promises are breached."
My jaw went slack because I know there was a Pivot Point reference there. See what you did there, Addie? P R O M I S E S.

The introduction and involvement of Laila's voice was overwhelming - a little confusing, yet it gave another prospect and side of the story. I wasn't really warming up with Laila's tough disposition and the "i don't fucking care" attitude at first, but of course the latter always picks up. She's just too blatant sometimes, but her snarky and wittiness totally was a catch! She loves her siblings too much, I can totally relate and vouch the "I'll do anything for my siblings" because I'll do everything for my sister too. And here comes Connor, the uber cool guy. Eeeeeep. I like Laila and Connor's relationship! <3 It had a delicious burn that I began to melt with it.
"Thank you," he whispered against my hair.
"How did that taste in your mouth?"
He laughed. "Awful."
I missed Addie's quirky character. She was so stressed and lonely in Split Second. It also affected my mood in a way. I came to a point where I asked the book, "What have you done to Addie? :(" But then there was a surreal development on her, she became braver - even stronger for her relationship with Trevor.

TREVOR. 

Admiration doesn't even begin to cover how much I really really really love and appreciate his character. I LOVE NICE GUYS. They make me believe that there are still good guys who aren't cocky just because they have the looks. TREVOR is just plain swoon-worthy, fascinating & .........too good to be true. He understands - or atleast try his hardest to understand the differences and eccentric situation. Sigh. I've been truly, madly, deeply in love with Trevor ever since.
“What about you? How does it feel to know though you have an advanced mind, the girl you love wants me?"  
BUUUUUUUURN
Addie & Trevor 's relationship took it to a new level. It was a fresh start yet there still lingers the emotion and chemistry that had almost been there. Every moment that they are together always makes me:

The reason why I can't give this 5 stars is because there were some questions left unanswered and some problems left unresolved (well atleast for me). There are some holes that should be patched to build up a stronger and more compacted series of events. 

Still, I thoroughly enjoyed this and saying goodbye becomes achingly bearable. I've waited for this for months and now I am waving a goodbye to some of my all time favorite literary characters? *bittersweet cry* Thank you Kasie West for extending the supposed to be standalone Pivot Point. You've done it again ♥


You May Also Like

10 comments

  1. Hahahaha adorable review! I could feel the fangirl vibes from miles away and I must say I approve! Plus, great GIF usage! I'm so with you on the Trevor ship! Oh how I love him soooooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA Oh yes! ♥ AHHHH Trevor, the nice guy, the ever nicest guy, the ever adorable guy, the ever ever ever lovable guy AND the all sort of positive description guy :(((=

      Thanks, Hazel ;)

      Delete
  2. YAY! Glad you loved this one too Abby! I agree on Laila, it took me a little while to warm to her as well, mostly I didn't like the way she tried to use her gift or her looks to manipulate people, but I definitely warmed to her in the end. And I loved Connor:) Don't even get me started on Trevor or this comment will be never-ending, just know that I'm madly in love with him right along with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR! I loved Connor too! His easy character is totally likable!! ♥ bUT TREVOR... Everything is different when it comes to Trevor! :((

      Delete
  3. Glad that the book met your expectations. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO!! I guess the author can never go wrong in my eyes! Lol

      Delete
  4. This is a great review. I had trouble putting my thoughts together for Pivot Point and Split Second. They were hard books to review, but so worth it because I want everybody to read these series. I'm in love with Trevor. He is such a great guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG YES! We love good guys, eh? :D And I agree that everybody has to read this duology! (and all Kasie's novels)

      Delete
  5. I feel like "Kasie West can never go wrong" is my new life motto. I've read all of her books and I'm also still so shocked and amazed. I absolutely loved Split Second too. I wasn't too sure because of the dual POV at first but then it works. I loved both book boys, but especially Trevor. Gah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoorray for Trevor! And Connor was a total attention catcher too! WE CAN BE KASIE'S FANCLUB PRESIDENTS HAHA

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! ♡ Happy reading to everyone!