Review: Alice in Zombieland

by - 6:52 AM

Alice in Zombieland
Author: Gena Showalter
Published Date: 2012
Genre: YA, zombies, paranormal
Rating: ★★★★

Synopsis:
 She won’t rest until she’s sent every walking corpse back to its grave. Forever.
Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that’s all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.Her father was right. The monsters are real….To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn’t careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies…

Fast-paced. Engrossing. Sexy. Zooooombies. 

The protagonist and narrator, Alice (Ali) Bell, never thought that her life would turn a wild three hundred sixty degrees on her birthday. She witnessed a very drastic tragedy that ruined her family and nearly her sanity. Now, she needed a distraction to keep her sanity and not become like her father who she thought lose the screw on his brain. But one thing she learned about the incident, her life will never be the same. Ever. She met a bunch of new people on her new school and started the thrilling and exciting ride of slaying the zombies. The monsters that killed her family. The monsters she wanted death in her hands. Maim. Kill. Destroy.

When I first heard of the 'Zombieland', the first thing that popped into my mind was a place full of mindless corpse with gross appetite for flesh. I was wrong. In this story, we got to read a very unique plot twist about the famous zombies. Unlike the cliche description of others, the zombies here are evil spirits. They are in our world, but most can't see them because they are just spirits. In order to fight them, a human must abandon his human body and use his spirit to fight the zombies. Spirit-to-spirit. One must have to be trained and have this power/light to puff zombies into ashes. The author created a unique story that will surprised the reader for its plot twist. The creativity that was bestowed in this book was the major reason why I kept turning the pages, unraveling a lot of secrets and crazy facts that made my head spun in bizarre. Although the vision somehow didn't make sense at all, I put the trivial issue aside since there was a lot of aspect to cover it up.

The characters were exceptionally witty and fabulous. It was easy for me to like them all even the creepy troop of achingly gorgeous men. The characters were a breathe of fresh air. I couldn't stop myself from grinning and chuckling from their battle of wits. Here are some of the comical scenes in the book:
“You’re right. I was having dinner with Zombie Carl the other night. You know, steaks, rare, and a bottle of vintage type A. He told me all his secrets, but too bad for you I promised him I wouldn’t tell. In exchange I asked him to gather his best undead buddies and stalk me through
my friend’s yard. And oh, yeah, it was totally fine if they wanted to use me as an all-night dinner buffet, because having organs is so last season.” -Alice Bell
Kitty Kat. Oh cats, i really loved her. She brought the light to everything making situations less intense and serious. I definitely need more of her and Frosty. She and Kat would've been polar opposite from the beginning, but I guess that made their friendship fonder....and very very cute.
Friends? -Alice
Best - Kat 
And from Kitty kat...
 “Low maintenance is what’s forgettable. You might want to write thatdown, underline it, circle it and put a star by it. It’s golden.” With barely a breath, she added, “Now let’s find out if we’re compatible, shall we?” 
The romance was never a hindrance, but sure added fuel to the fire. When kickass stubborn heroine met the oozing hot zombie slayer, that's the call. I would never thought that I'll love the "linked-at-first-sight", but I believed it worked progressively, little by little, making my stomach tingle. Alice and Cole's relationship was a combination of PULL and PUSH, but as it ended PULL always win! They just can't get enough of each other and I love the way Cole show his affection towards Alice, not to erotic, not too suffocating. Their relationship developed as they worked together in committing a goal. To kill zombies....and maybe stop the Anima Industries.
Little Ali. Ugh. "I said give me your keys." No reason to play nice. He certainly wasn't. "And if you call me Little Ali again, I'll smash your trachea the way I hear you like to to others."
Suddenly suspicious, he snapped out a quick "Why?"
"Because I hate it."
"Not the name. The keys."
"Hello. Because I want to stab you with them, why else?"
The ending. And the plot twist at the ending. Well, wow. I already expected that something like that will happen, but I wasn't expecting for it to end like that. I was expecting that the reason why there's book 2 and 3 because of Ali's father, but hell was I wrong. And that just added to my curiosity. I am sure there'll be a truckload of new plot twists and mind-twisting events to happen in the upcoming books. I am surely going to rock the shelf and start reading Through the Zombie Glass. ASAP.

The cover totally rocked it! I mean c'mon covergasm infront of the platter! And gods the title will intrigued anyone out of his wits. Alice in wonderland plus a crap load of zombies? Now, that's something really interesting. This might not be a retelling, but I can say the use of subtle relation of the things in Alice in Wonderland can make up with the relevance. Afterall the author was brave enough to pull out a Alice in Wonderland bullet.

Overall, if you just love something funny, unique, light-read but gets intense from time to time, the right kind of romance and a bunch of zombie (who wears gowns & tux, how formal LOL) then this book will make you a goner. I enjoyed it a lot!


You May Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for your comment! ♡ Happy reading to everyone!