Review: Working It (Love by design #1)

by - 5:05 AM

Working It
Author: Kendall Ryan
Published Date: Nov 11, 2013
Genre: NA, romance
Rating: ★★

Synopsis:
Emmy Clarke is out of her depth in New York City’s fashion world, but when she lands a job as an assistant at a modeling agency it seems like the perfect mix of business and pleasure. Working under the notorious Fiona Stone is a nightmare, but there’s one distinct perk: ogling the ridiculously hot male models who parade through the office—particularly rising star Ben Shaw.

Ben is everything Emmy’s not: exquisitely gorgeous, highly paid, and well-traveled. He’s also got more issues than Vogue. Emmy looks after Ben on photo shoots, but she refuses to become another one of his lusting groupies. Ben finds Emmy’s refreshingly real attitude to be surprisingly attractive.

Against a backdrop of the most fashionable cities in the world, casual flirting turns into an illicit affair, but when Ben’s twisted past is revealed, and the bitter Fiona catches wind of their relationship, their careers and hearts are threatened.
        

Oka.....y? Out of sheer curiousity, I downloaded this e-book and tried so hard to finish it. Why? The prologue and the first few chapters left an impression. I thought that this Sexy World Class Model fell in love with the Commoner motif will sweep me off my feet, but I guess it just swept some dusts. Working It is another NA novel that belongs to the MEDIOCRE shelf. I can't really feel the emotions from the story. I had a lot of problems with the plot twists and bitchy antagonist. The main characters were flimsy from my perception and their relationship was another steamy-but-that's-it? kind.

Emmy was sweet and really caring. I appreciated her non-slut shaming character from the start, but I guess Ben brought out the dark and wild side of her. What ticked me off was her vulnerability and week character. Sometimes I want to punch her, sometimes I just want her to grow some balls (not literally that'll look awful). Ben was a little bit cold, distant and juvenile at first. I thought that will make me yearn for the ALPHA side but i guess it really didn't. To think that he was a to die for world class model, he was just average. 

Fiona the bitch. She was damn immature with al lher actions, glare and spatted words. Narrow-minded and real desperate for a scene. I think 75% of the reason why I didn't like this book was because of the "the antagonist should fuel the fire" thing didn't really happen. Fiona just made things worse for the book. 

I can say that this novel needs more substance in the story. It really lacked climax and exciting scenes. The mood of the story was seriously neutral all through out. The plot twist at the end was predictable. The story was giving away too much not substantial things making the plot lousy and awful. A really unsatisfying read. 

You May Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for your comment! ♡ Happy reading to everyone!