2013 end of the year book survey!
This survey was created by Jamie of The Perpetual Page Turner. She's a very wonderful blogger, I've been following her blog for months now. Check her blog out!
1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist
I've read 88 books this year and the following books totally outshone the others. I've recently read Champion by Marie Lu and it officially climbed to my favorite read for 2013. (keeping it short for I am afraid I'll put a long ass description about it). Pivot Point by Kasie which really is a briliant fantasy/sci-fi-ish book; I've been obsessed with it for looooong. Any Rick Riordan can fall to my best book any year that's why there's no surprise for The House of Hades to be on this list. Clockwork Princess by Cassie Clare undoubtedly is one of the most beautiful and astonishing series enders that I've ever read. I have no words except it was beautifully written with so much emotion.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
I loved the series and it really hurt when I found myself disappointed on Sentinel. JLA lost the "wow" && "epic" factor in here. It's just........ why
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
Angelfall totally surprised me for I am not really into post-apocalyptic novels. I was also scared about the angel and nephilim thing becaue coughs I've been disappointed for many times when it comes to that genre. BUT hell, this was surprisingly good! I really have no idea what is The Darkest Minds all about except for the fact that my friends in goodreads kept talking about it. Why not give it a try? At first it was agonizingly slow and I almost put it on hold, but as Chapter 8 approached BAM! I found myself enjoying it bit by bit.
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
I've been recommending Kasie West's novels like crazy over the months now. These two are really amazing novels from a debut author!
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
Legend series by Marie Lu was definitely a surprise! I read it out of shear curiosity and hell- I can't put it down. My favorite has to be Champion, but the predecessor books are equally bloody brilliant - Legend & Prodigy.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
Hmm.. I think I'll give my top 5. They are Kasie West, Marie Lu, Jessica Sorensen, Alexandra Bracken & Emma Chase! Awesome authors!
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
I am really not a fan of New Adult books, but these two books really were damn awesome. Tangled by Emma Chase has to be one of the most hilarious books I've ever read while Bully by Penelope Douglas is a very gripping novel.
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
The two utmost books that didn't let me sleep 'til 4am! Champion & The Distance Between Us.
9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Hands down. Hats off. I like torturing myself that is why I need to reread and reread this 'til I grew tired of it (which is unlikely to happen).
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
11. Most memorable character in 2013?
No doubt. No question. Yep. Day from the Legend Series. Someday I'll write a long ass post raving over him and telling the world how much his character hit me like a tsunami.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
Clockwork Princess. I was left speechless just by the writing. It brought out a combination of classical and ya style.
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
All the books on my favorite list battered me emotionally (in a positive way). Well, If I can put one book that didn't make me cry, but made me nostalgic and totally relate it has to be Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
Obsidian is one of the popular books in the YA community. I really liked it and I can't believe I put it off for long! I know I know WHY READ DIVERGENT NOW? Because I didn't read it last year or the last two years or three... But seriously better late than never. Born At Midnight is a very good fantasy-romance book. It was released last 2011 and I've been meaning to read it when I discovered it last year.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
The first pic isn;t mine. The daniel quote is my edit.
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
Epilogue or the last part of Champion (where I bawled like a baby), Epilogue of Clockwork Princess (where there were happy tears all over my face) & Chapter 27 of The Darkest Minds (where I can never forget what Liam Stewart said LOL)
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Love triangle: Jem - Tessa - Will or in any way you arrange them cause it was a never ending cycle of love among these 3 characters.
Bestfriend/friend: Jamie & Mara from Mara Dyer series. Skye & Caymen from The Distance Between Us.
Sibling: Day with John & Eden; June & Metias (both from legend series). Also Layken and her sibling I forgot the name (from Slammed trilogy)
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
Both YA fantasy & dystopia
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
TREVOR from Pivot Point. I was literally obsessing over him when I finished Pivot Point. ALSO, Day from Legend (you probably all know that). Another one is Raffe from Angelfall & Chaol from Throne of Glass.
23. Best 2013 debut you read?
AND THEN AGAIN....
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
The authors of these series really know how to be vivid in writing the set up and world building of the novels. It feels like that the scenes just lay infront of my eyes in a play motion just like the movies.
25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
Unbreakable by Kami Garcia. It is a suspense-paranormal book and I was literally having goosebumps while reading some of the scenes here. I enjoyed it. I enjoyed being scared and that is how I define "most fun to read" :D
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
I've felt that this series was really underrated. C'mon guys you're missing awesome novels! The Fallen Star, The Underworld, The Vision (my favorite), & The Promise by Jessica Sorensen
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013?
All the awesome book bloggers are on my following list but to name a few, Kelly of Effortlessly Reading, Jackie of Bookcharmed, Chel of Procrastinating Corner, Cait & Mime from The Notebook Sisters, Marie of The Moody Reader, Hazel of Stay Bookish and a lot lot more!!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013?
My review for Champion where I put my heart on my sleeve. Also my review for The Darkest Minds & The House of Hades.
3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
I've only had one and it just happened yesterday. I called my discussion feature "Any thoughts?" The first discussion was about Book Hangover and how to deal with it.
4. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?
Every. single. thing. that I did in my blog is a moment for me. But above all, it was the birth of this book blog that I am really thankful for. Also meeting a couple of book bloggers! x
5. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Only completed /surpass my goal in goodreads! 90 of 50 books! Yeah!!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?
All of Our Yesterdays by Christin Terill.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?
Oooops. Look at the right side :)))
3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
I don't know. Haven't figured this thing out. Most of the books I am planning to read on 2014 is from the authors that already published books.
4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014
Just to relax and run this book blog the way I already started it. No pressure and all; meeting new awesome book bloggers and discovering more books.