Review: Angelfall

by - 2:38 AM

Angelfall
Author: Susan Ee
Publish Date: 2011
Genre: YA, dystopia, sci-fi, angels
Rating: ★★★★

Synopsis:
It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.
Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.
Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.


Review:
I figured that this was a self-published book? Wow, look what the other publishers missed! Susan Ee, you really slay this genre.

This book took my breathe away. Like seriously, it's awesome! I've read a couple of angel books and I can say they all have different research and interpretation toward nephilims, archangels and the whole angel world. I cannot say that the other angel books failed in their research since I, myself, isn't the biggest fan of angel stories and history, but I can say that Ms. Susan Ee really knew what she is up to. She researched for historical and political background of angels to start a book about them. That's a major YEPEE! There's no hole in the plot, it was well-written, well-narrated (Penryn's witty POV), well-plotted(although it's just 200+ pages) and the suspense, thrill, horror, gore, dystopia, action and romance aspects were all incorporated and balanced (although I can say there were more of gore and action).

In this book, the world is in vain with angels taking over and humans dreading because of scarcity, hunger and survival. Penryn, the main character and narrator, needed to transfer her mom and crippled sister to San Francisco where there's a great possibility of survival. On their attempt, she encountered a major problem. First, an angel-is-almost-dying-and-i-need-to-help-him-but-why and my-sister-was-freaking-kidnapped-fu-everyone situation. The angel who is dying is the least of her problem but then she still helped him to fight the other angels who's thrilled to cut his wings and kill him.

Penryn
She is the main character who loves fighting back and kicking someone's ass. She loves her family the most and will do anything for them. Indeed, her loyalty and stubbornness can get her killed but she doesn't give a damn as long it is for the ones she love. She is also witty with a pinch of dry humor and I love that side of her. She is indomitable and has an adamant will in life. Kick-ass heroine over here! But above all, I love her vulnerability. Just like everyone, she can be dainty especially when it comes to love and she practically admit it. No pretends, profess, but she knows when to pull her big girl panties up and handle her own shits.
Sure, I’m pissed off. But my actions are not entirely without thought. I might regularly open my mouth without thinking, but I never start a fight without consulting my brain. For this one, I figured I’d won as soon as I made the first move. Intimidation tactics like his are common among bullies. The smaller, weaker opponent is supposed to cringe and back off.

Raffe
He is the cocky, witty, inconclusive and unf angel Penryn met and saved. He showed no interest on her on their first encounter down to the second time he talked to her down to the third and so on.. That's the magic of Raffe, he showed subtle actions that will leave the reader frustrated and flushed. His witty banters with the characters left me cackling and swooning over him.
Kinky...and teasing
“Apparently,they’ve decided that’s a gray zone. It could get them all burned.” Then he adds in a whisper, almost to himself, “But the fire can be tempting.”
Or...how about his cockiness..
“Are you really an archangel?” I whisper.
He gives me a cocky grin. “Impressed?”
“No,” I lie. “But I have some complaints I’d like to file about your personnel.”
“Talk to middle management.”
or how about Raffe-being-Raffe
"If you help me find my sister, you can have these back. I saved them for you."
"Thanks," he croaks, surveying the wings. "They'll look great on my wall.
Penryn and Raffe's relationship
HOLY BATMAN. They are one of the most frustrating, depressing, gripping, heart-rending, maudlin and whimsical couples ever. And I loved it. Their relationship wasn't just insta-love, it had an amusing development that I stomached eagerly. Susan Ee, wrote their forbidden love story in a way her readers will feel the raw pain gnawing and swallowing them. The romance part didn't overshadow anything, it was just right and fitting.
"How long did you resist?" asks Uriel. "Did you push her away? Did you tell her she meant no more to you than any other animal? Oh, Raffe, did she die thinking you didn’t care about her? How tragic. That must just tear you to pieces."
Raffe looks up with murder in his eyes. "Don’t. Talk. About. Her."
Action. Gross. Gore. Suspense. 
Woah there, this book has it all. It's amazing how Susan Ee describes every possible scenario in detail but not annoyingly long. I can perfectly picture the scenes, the places, the people in this book. The politics in the Angel world was unexpected because I had no clue that being messenger has campaigns and stuffs. The devil-sucking-blood angel-scorpion FUCK MY LIFE they were the creepiest thing in this book. And Paige... Oh dear, Paige. I can't stomach the fact that she was changed into a flesh-eating person. Just why.... Nephilims, don't touch me! No! No! Paving the way of secondary characters that made a good show and role is also the good thing about this book.

Original plot with a lot of twists and bothering scenes, check! Forbidden love well-executed till the last page, check! Family ties, check! Well researched story concept, check! Cliffhanger, check plus tears!


I need book two!!!!!



You May Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for your comment! ♡ Happy reading to everyone!