Review: The House of Hades

by - 7:43 AM

The House of Hades
Author: Rick Riordan
Publish Date: 2013
Genre: mythology, fantasy

Synopsis:
At the conclusion of The Mark of Athena, Annabeth and Percy tumble into a pit leading straight to the Underworld. The other five demigods have to put aside their grief and follow Percy’s instructions to find the mortal side of the Doors of Death. If they can fight their way through the Gaea’s forces, and Percy and Annabeth can survive the House of Hades, then the Seven will be able to seal the Doors both sides and prevent the giants from raising Gaea. But, Leo wonders, if the Doors are sealed, how will Percy and Annabeth be able to escape?
They have no choice. If the demigods don’t succeed, Gaea’s armies will never die. They have no time. In about a month, the Romans will march on Camp Half-Blood. The stakes are higher than ever in this adventure that dives into the depths of Tartarus.
Review:
I'm in awe while reading House of Hades like, "man does this dude Rick Riordan eats the greek & roman mythology plus a whole truck of creativity for breakfast?" HATS OFF. HANDS DOWN. KUDOS RICK RIORDAN (plus the welcome message in HoH I think I guffawed so much)

The House of Hades was so intense, fast-paced, action-driven, adventure filled, chair-grabbing, pulse-racing, breathe-faltering and mind-blowing. It was the kind of book that I wish I can read again like it's just the first time. Ugh. I am having a hard time reviewing this since my feels are still scattered on the floor. LITERALLY.

Let's just do a quick breakdown of my thoughts since I don't know how much my coherency can hold for this review. (spoilers ahead)

First, character development. This aspect was very obvious since page one. No doubt about the development of all the characters. They all had fair share of POVs to prove that they are worth the quest. I was having doubt with Piper, but I think she crawled up to my "okay girl I wont dislike nor like you anymore" just neutral feeling about her. Jason, he was tougher yet I really didn't feel his leadership but I know everything was hard for him especially with Percy & Annabeth gone to Tartarus. Frank, this guy was a total turn on. His indomitable strength plus Ares/Mars aura flowed naturally in him. Hazel, you go girl! She's really one of my favorite female heroine ever existed. Her talents and ability was a challenge to control and enhance but it all paid well. Leo, oh I love you so much Leo Valdez. Naturally funny, witty. He brought the light at every situation (literally). Percabeth, oh my gods. How do I start with these two? They are just as strong-willed as they were before, their determination may waver but as long as they are together they can survive Tartarus (well, barely). So glad with how these characters became and will become. 

Second, Nico di Angelo. UMMMM OMG I DONT KNOW I JUST LOVE HIM SO MUCH NO MATTER WHAT REVELATIONS OR SECRETS WERE UNRAVELED. From the start of his appearance back in Titan's Curse I knew that he's next on Luke as my fave character. I totally get where he is coming from. All the bitterness and sadness.. I want to hug him and tell him everything will be okay. You can do it, Nico. You are one of the bravest!!

Third, Tartarus. That (place) or pit is so scary, horrifying, horrendous and all the words related to scary. I loved how the description was so clear. I can clearly imagine everything with Rick Riordan's writing. With all the monsters dwelling and reforming in Tartarus, yikes. And Tartarus itself was surprisingly not that creepy (for me) but for Percy (which almost lost his ability to hold things together) he is really spine-chilling. 

Fourth, the last hundred pages. JUST. READ. IT. I can't barely breathe. Everything happened so fast that I actually made sound like "FUCK...." and lots of "OH MY GODS"

Fifth, old characters. There were lot of old characters whether evil or not. Bob. And the giant whom I don't memorize the name. I SHED TEARS FOR THEM. UGH. JUST WHY. SO MUCH FOR LOYALTY AND FATES :( Rachel and Groover!! I am so glad they had a part. I was hoping for Luke to appear but his name was only mentioned a lot of times, atleast to compensate my longing for him.

Sixth, Prophecy. Thanks to Annabeth one line was now clear. My mind literally went "HOLY BATMAN" when Annabeth spoke that line of the prophecy and hope surges from them. It's just mind-blowing.

Seventh, relationships. Percabeth, they are perfect as they are before Even strogner now. JasonxPiper, errr.. I find it hard to stomach their relationship. Unlike Percabeth they barely had moments. ReynaxJason, I ARGO II them so much BUT yeah we all know who Jason loves. FrankxHazel, eeep cutest! LepxCalyptose "ALMOST IS NEVER ENOUGH" is the right song for them. NicoxPercy I AM SPEECHELESS!!!!!!!!

Eight, struggles. TOO MANY STRUGGLES. TOO MANY. I TELL YA TOO MANY!!! And all struggles and challenges were fought bravely and wisely. So commendable!

Ninth, I CANT THINK OF ANYTIHNG ANYMORE JUST READ THE BOOK MY GODS

Tenth, I am serious. READ IT.

Eleventh, ANOTHER YEAR FOR BLOOD OF OLYMPUS!!!!!! THE WAIT WILL KILL ME. OMG.


Twelfth, I am so done. Rick Riordan, U DA MAN!

You May Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for your comment! ♡ Happy reading to everyone!