(A not so NA book) Review: Foreplay (Ivy Chronicles #1) by Sophie Jardan

by - 8:09 PM

Foreplay (Ivy Chronicles #1)
Author: Sophie Jardan
Pages: 320
Published Date: Nov 5, 2013
Synopsis:
Pepper has been hopelessly in love with her best friend’s brother, Hunter, for like ever. He’s the key to everything she’s always craved: security, stability, family. But she needs Hunter to notice her as more than just a friend. Even though she’s kissed exactly one guy, she has just the plan to go from novice to rock star in the bedroom—take a few pointers from someone who knows what he’s doing.
Her college roommates have the perfect teacher in mind. But bartender Reece is nothing like the player Pepper expects. Yes, he’s beyond gorgeous, but he’s also dangerous, deep—with a troubled past. Soon what started as lessons in attraction are turning both their worlds around, and showing just what can happen when you go past foreplay and get to what’s real…



It is more than just foreplay I SWEAR.

This book totally surprised me. I stayed up 'til 4am just to finish this. WOW. I thought that it's another NA book with so much sex and obscenity, but man am I wrong. I admit that the title made me cynical because FOREPLAY DUDE FOREPLAY but as I read and cave in to the story I found myself utterly surprised. First there are 3 things that made me really like this.


1. I love the YA contemporary with what felt like a tinge of NA. It really feels YA-ish except for those inevitable scenes called sex making love. But those are just mild - not too ardent, feverish and ridiculous. The plot is sort of recycled, but that didn't hinder the quality of the writing and most of all the emotions basked from the novel.

2. A balance of everything. There's enough drama & angst; enough romance development; enough characters involved. And a balance pacing for the important scenes from the minor scenes like (talking to friends etc) 

3. Realistic characters. No doubt about this. I like Pepper though she irked me atleast two time LOL. And this novel doesn't shut out the aspect of education! I like how it was shown that Pepper values her studies in spite the romantic angst and dilemma she's going through. Reece on the other hand is a likable character as well. Not cocky, conceited & arrogant. He is a guy with needs but also the perfect example of a guy falling in love (he's such a teenager sometimes). And he has responsibility that wasn't neglected here. Told ya, realistic characters. I also like Hunter because I think there's more of him. Emerson is really cool and wild friend. The characters match and contrast each other it's really superb!

But I have one peeve:

Abrupt ending plot twist. Okay I had a problem with the fire. That almost lame and absurd. Just to patch up the moment of Reece & Pepper to admit their feelings to each other. *shrugs*

Anyway,aside from the peeve, the whole story was good. Too good for the other NA books that I've read before. This one will take every reader in a rollercoaster ride of feelings and emotions - the push & people of two people helplessly falling in love with each other. This NA book is not too NA if you're to doubtful with NA books, I affirm it.

You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. I'm doubtful about NA, so maybe I should try it. The cover kind of looks like a typical NA, though... And really clean endings where everything is convenient and patches up okay? I'm not a fan of those. But awesome characters, I DO love. So maybe I should give it a go. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you liked this book, but convenient endings drive me a bit crazy. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! ♡ Happy reading to everyone!