Review: The Evolution of Mara Dyer

by - 11:28 PM

The Evolution of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Publish Date: 2012
Genre: YA, paranormal, fantasy, supernatural
Rating: ★★★★★

Synopsis:

Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.
She can’t.

She used to think her problems were all in her head.
They aren’t.

She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets.
She’s wrong.

In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next?


Review:

"This is bullshit," he said suddenly. "We're teeangers. We're supposed to be sarcastic."
"And preoccupied with sex," I chimed in.
"And impulsive," Noah added


Now this is what I call a saving glory!! The Unbecoming gave me a few disappointments, but this book made up what's missing on the first book. I just can't bring this down??!?!? 

This is totally a mind-blowing book. The pieces were finally putting themselves together and I was just left speechless. Dumbfounded. I didn't see those coming!!!111 This book was fast-paced, not anymore confusing compare to the first, VERY INTRIGUING, creepy, FUNNY, still romantic (but this time it was more of the supernatural/creepy stuffs and haunting ex-boyfriend & past & dreams) and definitely a loose cannon!! Whenever something bad happens to Mara, I know it was Jude's, but there will always be more than meets the eyes. *wiggles eyebrows*

Michelle sort of lessened her descriptive writing. It wasn't as detailed as the first, and that made this book a little perplex. I just loved how things and events went well together. Every chapter's ending was a cliffhanger and breathtaking. Last time, I compared the Unbecoming to a wave, this time I'll still compare it but the difference is, the amplitude of the crest is higher than the amplitude of the trough. I'm sorry for my little Physics cameo, this is just contrary to all the scientific terms that were elaborated and introduced here. Eventhough they kept repeating the same scientific terms, I really can't get it!! And I won't try anymore.. Bio really hates me /shrugs/

Aside from awful Jude and his dreadful torture towards Mara, the other thing that really bugged me was THE. FREAKING. HAND-MADE. DOLL. I love dolls, but when a doll is LEERING at you..... I just----- And suddenly there were more people who were just like Mara and Noah. That surprised me a bit, but I was delighted when things fit into places. 

The Characters. Umm.. I want to pat Michelle for developing her characters. The characters were now well-woven and much much much more better than before. I lost the count of how many times I laughed and burst out guffaws. Although 90% of the things here were spooky and shuddersome, the humor and wittiness STAYED!!!!! I love Daniel. He made me tear up! I love Jamie mooooooore!! I think he is my favorite character in this book.


"Perhaps because she is batshit crazy, Brooke."
Jamie slow-clapped.
"Jamie," Brooke said calmly. "I'm not sure that's productive."
"I was applauding Mara for her extraordinarily appropriate use of the term 'batshit crazy'."


I despise Dr. Kells for God-knows-what-reasons. I loathed Jude. I pitied Phoebe, but at the same time I want to smash her head with a baseball bat. I'm sorry, she gave the creeps.

And Noah... This almost perfect, arrogant, deadpan, gorgeous guy..


"I'm too selfish to leave you," I said.
Noah pulled back so I could see his smile. "I'm too selfish to let you"


THE ENDING:

You May Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for your comment! ♡ Happy reading to everyone!