Review: The Fallen Star

by - 9:47 PM

Fallen Star
Author: Jessica Sorensen
Date of Publish: 2011
Genre: YA, fantasy, paranormal
Rating: ★★★★

Synopsis:
For eighteen year-old Gemma, life has never been normal. Up until recently, she has been incapable of feeling emotion. And when she's around Alex, the gorgeous new guy at school, she can feel electricity that makes her skin buzz. Not to mention the monsters that haunt her nightmares have crossed over into real-life. But with Alex seeming to hate her and secrets popping up everywhere, Gemma's life is turning into a chaotic mess. Things that shouldn't be real suddenly seem to exist. And as her world falls apart, figuring out the secrets of her past becomes a matter of life and death.

Review:
Believe me it was a hell of a ride reading this. This book was utterly awesome. I never thought that I'll love the perplex story of Gemma and the peeps who want her protected from some sort of devil craft called Death Walkers.

I was debating with myself whether I'll give this a 4 or a 5, and gixing it a 4 was really a hard choice so let's just think of I give this 4.5 stars. In that way it will compensate to the awesomeness of this book. It's not that I found the whole concept lacking, infact it has a lot of turnings, twists and unfolding of secrets that I, myself was also gaping at the explosion of information. Like Gemma, I felt like I'm on a roller coaster ride and the handles are MIA. I need to hang on someone to prevent me from falling off the ride and with that, came the ever so gorgeous man Alex.

Alex is this guy that has this i'm-so-mysterious aura and you just want to knock him on his head. Nah, he's terribly handsome and I know he is swoon-fest but apparently, he is a ball of lies. I don't even know if he is telling the truth or just word play to deceive Gemma or whatsoever manipulations he needed in order for Gemma not to find out the truth. I really really really like Alex because just the first few pages he already made me smirk because of his i-hate-this-girl-named-Gemma vibe written all over his face. His character is a bit challenging to absorb especially when he is in a on-off attitude. And oh, he has this electricity all over himself when he is close with Gemma, another thrilling thing about him.
"I'm just curious...about you." He gave me a sideways glance. "I find you fascinating."
Gemma sweety pie, you are such an adorable piece of star. There I said it, she is the fallen star. If it isn't that obvious. I was very intrigued with her character. I mean it's weird, a girl that lost the ability to feel? And just gained her emotions a few months ago? Man, her life is surely a mess. So, one of the reason I can't rate this perfect 5 stars is because of her, not the story, but her. First things first, she's sort of funny and intelligent on the first few chapters but then things starts to turn a total atleast 150 degrees when she starts discovering creepy and weird stuffs about her. But atleast some of her humor have made it through the last chapter. What irked me was her nonchalant and almost deadpan attitude. I know she conveys a lot of raw emotions but still she's annoying in some aspects. And her innocence is a little bit irking, I mean man she could've figured everything and completed the puzzle of her oh-so-mysterious-life way way way before other complex stuffs occurred. It's already on her palms and eyes, she just needs to friggin be open-minded. I really find those the downfall of the book. (sorry not downfall maybe bad point yup) But above all, she remained a lovable curious girl all through out. Plus, I love her chic-gene all over her body. That was cute, I swear.

Aislin and Laylen, are just as adorable as the two main characters. They shared a past which I don't know why it ended. Maybe because laylen turned into a vampire? Maybe. Maybe. It's saddening how short their apperance was, though Aislin was a little cockblock to my happiness of Gemma-Alex romantic moments. LOL. Meanwhile, Laylen I really love your humor and determination. But, where did you guys went???!?!?! That's the biggest mystery I swear!!!

Too much paranormalcy was in this book that it really was jam packed of events and turn overs, and that made the whole book appalling and enthralling. I just can't find a boring page here. Like fat 0. On the plot aspect, nothing was lacking. The story was well-shaped and woven into words. It's just the characters that made me cringe a little bit. Okay only a little bit! 

Please let's not talk about how complicated Alex-Gemma is. Please. Please. Yes? No. Okay. So we'll have a quick check what happened to them. They fight like 24/7 then somewhat cool off then fight again. Man, the sexual frustration was killing me. No third wheel. No third person to meddle but only sexual tension between them. You know when Alex has this I-really-want-her attitude burning up on him I just want to holler JUST KISS!!! I still have faith in them, and I will keep the faith. (especially alex is really swoon-fest wait I just said that up there meh)
"I'm too hot, huh?"

"Oh, shut up" Through the darkness, I fixed him with my angirest glare. "You know that's not what I meant."

"Do I?" His eyebrow teased upward.
BAM! It's always about the teasing!!!

I'm really excited and giddy to start with the other book because the end of this book was total cliffhanger, I just want to jump!!!! It was a very good read for me and I would totally recommend this if you are looking for paranormal novels with a different and exciting plot. It is a fun read cause I didn't get bored and their mini-adventures were something that thrilled me to bits. It's just my stupid fever that prevented me to finish this way too quickly.

One of my fave:
"This isn't about me talking to Gemma or Gemma getting close to anyone. It's about you wanting what you can't have."

-Laylen to Alex

You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. Thanks for great article, looking forward for more from you.
    check my blogpost about android hack here.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! ♡ Happy reading to everyone!