Review: Fangirl

by - 11:51 PM

Fangirl
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Publish Date: 2013
Genre: YA, chic-lit, contemporary, romance
Rating: ★★★★

Synopsis:
In Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl, Cath is a Simon Snow fan. Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan, but for Cath, being a fan is her life—and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.


Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.



Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to.

Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words . . . And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.


For Cath, the question is: Can she do this? Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?



Review:


"What the fuck is 'the fandom'?"

"You wouldn't understand," Cath sighed, wishing she hadn't used that word, knowing that if she tried to explain herself any further, it would just make it worse.



☆ ☆ 4.5 stars ☆ ☆

What makes this book standout above all fiction books? It's achingly realistic. One thing that made me yearn for this was the fact that the title describes me the most.Fangirl. I am a fangirl. This story is close to my heart. Too close.


The story was a little bit confusing at first because of the change in stories. One second it is on Cath's story and then another second it is about Simon Snow, Baz and all the magical creatures I am not familiar of, but I got used to it as pages dragged by. One thing I am sure of, Simon Snow is Harry Potter and the story of Simon Snow is the Harry Potter series. I loved every page of this book. I loved how everything turns out the way it should have.



Cath. I can see myself in her. Not 100% alike but atleast 75% yes. She is a fangirl (wait not just a fangirl, it will always be more than just a "fangirl"), reader, fanfic writer, socially awkward and "i-am-too-stubborn-so-please-leave-me-alone type of teenager. She is more of I rather read or write or maybe lock myself inside the room 24/7 than to hang out and party my ass out with people and that is exactly why I love her. She is a tad melodramatic and stubborn that irks me, but I'am cool with that.

"I can't believe Abel told me this girl's ACT score," she said. "What am I supposed to do with that? Offer her a scholarship?"



Levi. He wasn't describe as a total hottie with six pack abs and a sex appeal to kill for, but she is the right kind of realistic guy that I want in my life. He keeps on smiling and smiling and smiling and too nice around people. There's a subtle line between being nice and being flirty (that's what Cath thought). He was perfectly flawed. I want him. I want a guy like him. Toothy grin. Lazy guy. Stupid at times. Flirty demeanor that will make a goo out of anyone. He's just so realistic and sweet it actually hurts my soul. 

"You look so blindingly cute right now, I feel like I need to make a pinhole in a piece of paper just to look at you."


Secondary characters like Wren, Reagan & Cath's dad are the exact characters I've dreamed of. They were exceptionally rude and funny and bland and flawed and cool. Just cool! Too cool. I loved the family relation of Cath-their dad-Wren. I also like Reagan and her fuck off, i dont care about you, oh please you suck, you are so stupid it hurts my cells attitude. She is the kind of bestfriend slash roomate i want. The development between Reagan and Cath 's relationship was lucid and extremely funny. They are polar opposite. Total opposite. It's just impressive how they deal with each other and became cool friends. Atleast that's what I thought.


"I feel sorry for you, and I'm going to be your friend."

"I don't want to be your friend," Cath said as sternly as she could. "I like that we're not friends."

"Me, too. I'm sorry you ruined it by being so pathetic."


Levi and Cath. Nuff with them. I am squeaaaaaaling. They are so cute. Fluffy. Steamy. Fluffy and steamy at the same time. Do I make sense? They have their own worlds and I like it that they are lost on their own world. Just the two of them. 



This book also made me realize how writers were developed and mend to be enduring and firm. They are sharpened by writer's block, fixed by 'almost giving up' and changed by 'I write because this is what makes me happy. I am free when I write. I am lost when I write' It was so touching. I can feel Cath's grieve whenever she can't find out the right story to write or words to fill in. 



I almost cried when they were on the part of receiving the last book of their favorite series. That scene was the best. It was gripping and consuming. I felt that too when The Last BattleClockwork PrincessThe Last Olympian, and other last books from my favorite series were released. Heart-breaking but at the same time heart-warming and asfdghjkjhgfdsdfgh.



Totally worth reading and recommending.



You May Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for your comment! ♡ Happy reading to everyone!